For over 50 years, Berghaus has been creating innovative, technical apparel and equipment for enjoying the great outdoors. Trusted by mountaineers and hikers worldwide, Berghaus is renowned for engineering durable and weatherproof clothing using cutting-edge fabrics.
In this detailed guide, we’ll explore Berghaus’ renowned technologies, top rated products for men, women and kids, plus tips on finding the perfect fit for your adventures.
About Berghaus - Pioneering Outdoor Gear Since 1966
Founded in the rugged landscape of the Lake District in 1966, British brand Berghaus takes inspiration from the mountains. Their pioneering gear was some of the first to use GORE-TEX waterproof fabric technology.
Key innovations Berghaus use in their clothing and equipment include:
- GORE-TEX - Guaranteed waterproof, windproof and breathable protection.
- Hydrodown - Water resistant down insulation that retains warmth even in damp conditions.
- Paclite - Ultralight tear-resistant GORE-TEX ideal for packing on long hikes.
- Interactive - Body-mapping technology places insulation where you need it most.
- AF Softshell - Durable wind and water resistant fabric allows airflow to prevent overheating.
Berghaus Jackets, Fleeces and Insulation
Berghaus offer a range of insulation layers perfect on their own or part of a layering system:
Waterproof GORE-TEX Jackets
- Lightweight Paclite shells like the Berghaus Paclite Jacket.
- Hardshell mountaineering jackets like the Berghaus Ramche 2.0.
- Stretch waterproofs like the Berghaus Deluge Pro.
Down and Synthetic Insulation
- Packable Hydrodown jackets like the Berghaus Hyper 100 Hydrodown Vest.
- Lightweight synthetic fills like the womens Berghaus TwentyFourSeven Plus Jacket.
Fleece Jackets and Pullovers
- Heavyweight insulation like the Berghaus Stainton Full Zip Fleece.
- Technical fleece shells like the Berghaus Fortrose Pro Fleece Jacket.
Berghaus Hiking Trousers, Base Layers and Tops
Completing your head-to-toe layering kit:
Walking and Hiking Trousers
- GORE-TEX trousers for severe weather like the Berghaus Hillwalker GORE-TEX Trousers.
- Stretch softshell pants like the Berghaus Activity Trek Pants for aerobic activity.
Base Layers and Thermals
- Merino wool long sleeve base layers like the Berghaus Long Sleeve Tech LS Zipneck.
- Synthetic leggings like the Berghaus Long Trail Base Layer Leggings.
Shirts and Tees
- Casual tees like the Berghaus Full Zip Top SS Tee with UPF 30 sun protection.
- Technical long sleeve shirts like the womens Berghaus Selale Zip Long Sleeve Shirt.
Berghaus Rucksacks and Trekking Gear
From daypacks to expedition haulers, Berghaus engineer technical packs and accessories:
Backpacks and Rucksacks
- Large mountaineering packs like the 80L Berghaus Cotopaxi.
- Lightweight 30-40L hiking packs like the Berghaus Freeflow 35 or Vintage 28L daysack.
Footwear and Compression
- Lightweight hiking boots like the mens Berghaus Hillwalker II GORE-TEX Boots.
- Calf guards and gaiters like the Berghaus Hillwalker Calf Guard.
Layering Berghaus Clothing For The Outdoors
Berghaus’ Interactive clothing system makes layering their apparel effortless:
- Base Layer – A next-to-skin thermal like the HydroLayer that wicks sweat.
- Mid Layer – Insulating fleece like the Stainton to trap warmth without overheating.
- Interactive Shell – A jacket mapped with insulation zones for versatility.
- Waterproof Outer – A hardshell GORE-TEX jacket like the Paclite for weather protection.
Adjust your layers to control temperature and moisture. Berghaus’ advanced fabrics work together seamlessly as part of a complete layering system.
Berghaus Gear for Different Outdoor Activities
Pick Berghaus clothing and packs purpose-built for your pursuits:
Hiking and Trekking
- Stretch waterproof like the Deluge Pro jacket for flexible storm protection.
- A large pack like the 50L Berghaus Freeflow rucksack to carry supplies.
- GORE-TEX boots like the Berghaus Hillwalker II for dry feet across rough trails.
Mountaineering and Alpinism
- A technical hardshell like the Berghaus Men's Cornice III for severe weather protection.
- Insulated jacket and pants to layer beneath like the Berghaus VapourLight HyperTherm.
- Crampon-compatible boots like the Berghaus Explorer Trek Plus for grip on ice.
Trail Running and Racing
- Minimalist waterproof like the Berghaus Paclite Jacket - weighs just 450g!
- Low profile hydration vest like the Berghaus TwentyFourSeven 15L vest.
- Off-road grippy shoes like the Berghaus Hillwalker II GORE-TEX trail shoes.
Reviews of Top Rated Berghaus Gear
With so many outdoor products to choose from, here are reviews of some Berghaus customer favourites:
Berghaus Ramche 2.0 GORE-TEX Pro Jacket
The Ramche 2.0 impresses with rugged storm protection and unmatched weatherproofing. GORE-TEX Pro fabric shields against the fiercest rain, wind and snow, fully taped seams prevent drips and drafts, while robust reinforcement across high-abrasion areas ensures lasting resilience. The helmet-compatible hood, underarm vents and zipped chest pocket make the Ramche 2.0 ideal for challenging alpine pursuits. A technical powerhouse to rely on in harsh extremes.
Berghaus Hillwalker II GORE-TEX Boots
The Hillwalker II GORE-TEX Boots deliver waterproof protection and trail stability during challenging hikes. A rugged GORE-TEX membrane surrounds the leather upper for dry feet across boggy ground and stream crossings. An EVA midsole cushions underfoot impact while the grippy Vibram rubber sole provides traction across mixed terrain. With their reassuring support and underfoot comfort, the Hillwalker II Boots have you covered mile after mile.
Berghaus Freeflow 30 Backpack
With a trail weight of just 790g, the Freeflow 30 is a featherlight companion for fast-paced hikes and treks. The breathable back system allows cooling airflow across your back to prevent sweaty discomfort. Front and side compression straps stabilise loads, with easily accessible pockets and hydration compatibility. Streamlined and versatile, the Freeflow 30 carries all your hiking essentials without weighing you down.
Accessorizing for the Trails with Berghaus
Complete your head-to-toe protection against the elements by accessorising with Berghaus’ range of hats, gloves and other extras specially engineered for the outdoors.
Hardwearing Beanies and Bobble Hats
In chillier temperatures, retain precious body heat by pulling on an insulating beanie like the Berghaus Logo Beanie. Available in wool blends and synthetic acrylic, they stretch to fit all head sizes. For additional ear warmth, choose styles like the Reversible Bobble Hat with a pom pom top.
Supple, Dexterous Gloves
Don’t sacrifice dexterity to keep hands toasty. Berghaus glove technologies balance insulation with flexible mobility:
- Power Stretch Pro Gloves - A 4-way stretch fleece shell allows complete freedom of movement.
- Extrem 5000 Gloves - Waterproof yet breathable with removable inner fleeces for modulating warmth.
Secure-Fitting Hats and Caps
Hats shield from both sun and showers on the trails. Clever designs ensure they stay put in windy conditions:
- Mountain Trucker Cap - Mesh side panels enable airflow while the stiff peak shades the face.
- Solar Challenger Hat - Chin straps and toggles customise the fit in breezy uphill climbs.
Reliable Trekking Poles
Take the strain off knees and improve stability crossing steep, uneven terrain with adjustable three-section poles like the Trail Trekker. The hybrid cork, EVA foam and rubber grips stay comfy mile after mile.
Spacious Duffel Bags
Haul bulky gear in roomy duffels like the 100 liter Expedition Bag. Durable fabrics like the 600D polyester resist abrasion with water repellent coatings, while the wide mouth openings provide easy packing access.
Finding the right Berghaus accessories that complement your clothing layers ensures you’re fully equipped for every situation on the trails. Discover the complete head-to-toe experience.
The Berghaus Interactive Layering System
Berghaus’ Interactive apparel makes layering clothing effortless thanks to body mapping technology.
Strategically placed fleece, down and synthetic insulation only where you need it prevents overheating yet locks in warmth.
Versatile Fleece Weights
Pair light 200 weight fleeces for active pursuits or robust 300-400 weight for static cold weather use.
Waterproof and Windproof Shells
GORE-TEX hardshell jackets provide weather protection when conditions turn wet and windy.
Moisture Wicking Base Layers
Long sleeve tops and leggings wick sweat away from skin and speed evaporation to keep you dry.
Regulating Comfort and Protection
Zip vents, roll up sleeves and removeable layers let you control airflow and insulation. Berghaus Interactive creates a microclimate you can adapt to any mountains.
Discover premium performance you can trust. Berghaus Interactive clothing delivers versatile insulation for every pursuit.
Finding Your Ideal Berghaus Size and Fit
Choosing the right size gear ensures comfort, weather protection and versatility across pursuits:
Berghaus Size Guides
Refer to the detailed size charts provided for each product. Measure your body and compare against garment dimensions for a tailored fit.
Available sizes range from XS to XXL in regular and long lengths, plus kids sizes.
Trying In Person
Visit an outdoor retail store to try clothing on for size when possible. Take your usual size as a starting point and size up if between regular and long.
Getting your perfect boot size and lace fit is crucial for hiking comfort.
Check wearer reviews for feedback on how certain products fit. Look for comments relevant to your body type and activity.
With some trial and error you'll discover your ideal Berghaus size.
Caring For Your Berghaus Gear
Make your Berghaus kit last many seasons with proper care:
- Check clothing labels for washing instructions by fabric composition, and use specialty detergents.
- Re-apply water-repellent treatments to jackets periodically as DWR coatings wear off.
- Allow sweat-wicking base layers to fully dry before re-wearing to prevent odour build up.
- Store sleeping bags and down jackets loosely to preserve loft rather than compressed.
- Wash and proof leather boots regularly, allowing them to fully dry out before storage to avoid cracking.
With some basic maintenance your Berghaus gear will deliver enduring performance season after season.
Why Berghaus is Trusted Outdoor Gear
For over 50 years Berghaus has pioneered technical innovations that define outdoor apparel and equipment. Reasons Berghaus is relied upon worldwide:
- Cutting-Edge Fabrics - Continually adopting the latest high performance GORE-TEX, Hydrodown and Paclite fabrics.
- Severe Weather Protection - Technologies engineered specifically for mountaineering in harsh extremes.
- Laboratory Tested - Rigorously putting clothing through controlled testing before real-world use.
- Interactive Layering - Garments work seamlessly together as climate adaptable systems.
- British Heritage - Over half a century of expertise designing gear in the mountainous Lake District.
From weekend ramblers to Himalayan climbers, Berghaus provides trusted excellence in outdoor apparel and packs. Gear up and embrace your next adventure with Berghaus.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is Berghaus Hydrodown insulation different from regular down?
Hydrodown uses a special DWR treatment on down feathers to help maintain warmth if down gets damp during activity. This makes it ideal for active wear in wet conditions.
What is the warmest Berghaus insulated jacket?
For extreme cold the Berghaus VapourLight HyperTherm insulated jacket provides outstanding warmth thanks to quality hydrophobic down paired with synthetic fill.
Does Berghaus clothing run true to size?
Most Berghaus gear fits according to standard sizing charts but trying items on is ideal to test fit and range of movement. Size up to layer comfortably underneath.
What is the best Berghaus hiking backpack?
The Berghaus Freeflow series are award winning lightweight hiking packs. Larger volume expedition packs like the Cotopaxi 80L provide heavy hauling capacity.
Does Berghaus offer a lifetime guarantee?
Berghaus offer comprehensive guarantees covering faults in manufacture, materials and workmanship. Check terms for limitations and eligibility.
With decades of experience developing cutting-edge technologies that equip outdoor athletes to embrace any climate or challenge, Berghaus continues to produce apparel and gear that redefine performance. By providing weatherproof protection, stable carry and adaptable insulation across their extensive range, Berghaus gives adventurers the confidence to go further. When you pick Berghaus, you've got the right kit, now it's time to write your next chapter!