Fully updated fourth edition of this practical guidebook with detailed maps to Africa's most popular trek and highest mountain, Kilimanjaro. Also includes Mount Meru and guides to Arusha, Moshi, Marangu, Nairobi and Dar es Salaam.
For the fourth edition:
• The routes have been walked again, both on Kilimanjaro and Meru, to check that the descriptions are still accurate.
• Everything has had a thorough update including the guides to the cities and towns and the review of the trekking agencies.
• The Shira Plateau Route has been walked and added.
• Routes covered on 35 detailed walking maps in the proven Trailblazer style; all walking times are indicated along with points of interest and gradients. We cover what other walking guides leave out–comprehensive details of where to stay and where to eat along the way in gateway city guides. Includes a detailed bird spotter's guide and a full-colour flora identification section.
• Extra colour sections plus a 16-page colour introduction to Kilimanjaro and the climb.
Plus as in the previous edition:
• Comprehensive trail guide and maps (with GPS waypoints also downloadable from the website) to the six major routes: Machame, Marangu, Rongai (Loitokitok), Lemosho, Shira and Umbwe–by a writer who's climbed them all
• City guides–where to stay, eat and what to see en route to Kili in: Dar es Salaam, Nairobi, Arusha, Moshi and Marangu
• Planning your trip and booking a trek–when to go, what to take, how to book your trek: extensive reviews of trekking agencies
• Mount Meru–a popular pre-Kilimanjaro trek
• Background information–comprehensive history, geology, climate, flora and fauna, plus cultural information on the Chagga people
• Porters' rights–how you can help
• Green trekking–minimizing your impact
• Health and safety